TRNR Rotating Double Waffle Maker
“The wavy waffle is an OG when it comes to Ghetto Gastro — we're really putting you on to some secrets with this recipe. Some of our earliest events as GG featured this waffle and it became one of the things people always asked us about for years. Put this down at your next gathering and be prepared to make extra.” – Jon Gray
- 1 ¾ C Tipo 00” flour or pastry flour
- ⅓ C grated or desiccated coconut
- 3 ½ tsp activated charcoal made from coconuts (optional)
- 1 pack active dry yeast (1 pack)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp Maldon salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 3/4 C coconut milk, warm
- ½ C coconut oil
- 2 whole eggs
- Sift together all the dry ingredients. (You may store in the fridge at this point for later, which is good if you are thinking ahead).
- Warm your coconut milk and coconut oil together in a pot over low heat, you only want the temperature to reach 104 degrees F 60 C. We are blooming the yeast in the next step, if you overheat you can kill the yeast. Ideal temperature is between 100F-113F (if the mixture gets to hot allow to cool in an ice bath).
- Mix in your eggs to the milk mixture.
- Pour the milk mixture into a well created in the dry mix.
- Whisk the ingredients together to make a smooth batter.
- Allow the mixture to sit at room temp or warmer for a minimum of 15 mins or up to 2hrs. Be careful because the batter will rise but the longer it goes the more the flavor and small air pockets will develop.
- Pour the mixture into a hot waffle iron brushed with coconut oil. Cook until GBD (Golden Brown + Delicious).